Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The weekend in Black and White

It was the annual Black and White party in Saugatuck this weekend. Every year it gets bigger and bigger actually now I think its called Black and White Weekend. It all started as annivery party then is became the black and white in 80's. Now its the Black and white weekend with Sunday their kicking off Summer early with the first tea dance of the year. Its Apirl in Michigan folks!
All this is getting to be a bit too much for me. I remember Superbowl before there were Superbowl Parties. President Day was just a day for school house discussion. The TV season just ended no big final or cliff hanger. Does everything have to bigger and grander to be good. Motel became Motor lodges then Hotel then 3-4 star Hotel, sometime all you need or want is a clean bed.
I remember about 15 years ago I went to Penniscola. I would at the side of the road, grab my back pack and hey I was at the beach. Not anymore crowds of tourist now a couple of Hyatts and paved parking lots. Something is lost, something basic we keep rising the bar and losing fun in return.
As we fought are way through the crowds of people in 50's degree weather in resort town in early spring I kept thinking when does it all stop. This use to be the local getting together for the first time of the season. Now its an event.

No comments: