Sunday, December 24, 2006

So..this is Christmas?

I am one of those people who works Christmas. Actually,it is a trade-off for getting Thanksgiving off. Before David and I were together, I enjoyed working Christmas. I would sometimes work 16 hours both Christmas eve and Christmas day, giving those who wanted Christmas- off . I never felt cheated or depressed. Christmas to me is all about the build up,I enjoy the gift buying, the parties, the decoration the day itself is usually boring-a lack luster finish.

Now, that David is in the picture its all changed. David is a Jew, growing up he was taught that Christmas and Hanukkah should never be mixed (???). David also gets depressed on Christmas. So, he want to celebrate Christmas on Christmas Day. It wouldn't matter what day we celebrate. Christmas day isn't important to me. Bu,David won't listen, like last year and the year before, I now go to work then Celebrate on Christmas Eve and Christmas day.

Now lets recap: I am celebrating a holiday on a day, I don't want tocelebrate it for a man who doesn't celebrate the holiday . GOT IT? -GOOD

Every year I say lets just take a day I have off , make a nice dinner and exchange gifts. Somehow it never works out he'll start out" But you'll be depressed" then I realize he'll be depressed and I'm back splitting holidays and work again.

I have this dream that someday, someone will say," It must be awful having to work Christmas. why don't we celebrate on a day you off, so you can enjoy it too". So far in my life its has never happen not with parent, not with my ex and not with David. Maybe then on Christmas day we would eat left over then head out to the movies.
Every years. I manage to tell myself the holiday is really a giving back to those who love you- I have someone who willing to be there celebrate even though I don't want it. Some people don't have that. It l means I'm a blessed, lucky man-Right?

1 comment:

sattvicwarrior said...

good grief. how lucky are you two. ???? !!!!!!!!!!!! CLEBRATE Hanukah with him. !!!!!!!he celebrates THAT doesn’t he??? you dudes got two holidays. and in between think of SATURNALIA!! its what the Christians COVERED up because they wanted to quell the bacchanalian feasts by the roman’s at that time. [ Christ WASNT born on dec 25th by the way]. that was a Christian thing…. so it looks like you BOTH have the best of two worlds. . just be a little clever about it!!!!!!!!
and what do you do for KWANZA??????
by the way . no white christmas here in california . but i DID manage to clean out the banana trees and take a bunch to a neighbors house as a gift...[ i sprayed them with that fake store bought snow]. cool huh?? :)