Saturday, December 13, 2008

Van Johnson -Passed away December12,2008

Van Johnson was one the major MGM actors in the 1940's. He work under the studio system where they control everything about the actor. Its was a open secret in Hollywood he was gay and the studio had an arranged marriage. This from Wikeapedia
___________________________________________________________________

According to Eve Johnson, her marriage to Johnson had been engineered by MGM: "They needed their `big star' to be married to quell rumours about his sexual preferences, and unfortunately, I was `It' - the only woman he would marry."[4] As she explained, Louis B. Mayer refused to renew Keenan Wynn's contract unless Eve married Johnson: "I was young and stupid enough to let Mayer manipulate me. I divorced Keenan, married Johnson, and thus became another of L.B.'s little victims."[4]
The Johnsons separated in 1961, after the actor reportedly had an affair with a man Eve Johnson described as "the lead boy dancer" in the London production of The Music Man, according to her son Ned.[5] They divorced in 1968.[6] As Johnson recalled, "[Eve] wiped me out in the ugliest divorce in Hollywood history."[7]
living facility in Nyack, New York.[7]

____________________________________________________________________
I remember him mostly for his guest appearances on situation comedies in the '60 and '70. I think even as a small childed I realize he was gay.

No comments: