Tuesday, November 07, 2006

silence

I pulled into the Park this morning. It was deserted except for an illegally park police car who pulled away when I park next to him. The duck weren't out and they didn't come out at the sound of my car as they usually do. I opened my cars back door and got out a large cup of bird food. I stood there for a few minutes holding the cup and none of fowls seem to notice me. Finally I caught the attention of Natalie, my favorite duck, she waddle toward me and I placed some food on the ground. Next followed more wild female ducks then the males ducks waddling up to me. Finally the domesticated ducks swam toward the river bank and climbed the less steep path up to meal time. The ducks were unusually quiet this morning, the tame ducks are noisier ones and today even they were silence. I looked out at the hazy white-grey sky and then down at the birds. Each duck had their head down eating at the seed. All at once there was huge sound of wings flapping and they were gone, back in the river. I turned my head and the park remained empty. I turned my head back and on my right even to my head, glided a falcon down near the ground never landing but swooped close to where the ducks had been feeding. I waited for the ducks to return throwing out bits of feed. They appeared not to notice me. I threw out the remainder of the seed and looked over my shoulder to see the police car returning to the park. It was just so quiet and I felt chill go up my back.

No comments: